Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Why Mess With a Good Thing

In my CSA box I got a lot of lettuce. There is nothing better than fresh, hand picked lettuce from a garden. Mmmm so good. I love salads but I'm the kind of girl who needs a little dressing on each piece of lettuce. I'm also the kind of girl who loads it up with veggies so I fill up on CLEAN REAL food. Not a bunch of cheese, spicy chicken and 10 other things at the salad bar. Don't turn your salad into 800 calorie meal and please, please stop buying ready made dressing! That's stuff is just bad for you. 9 times out of 10 if you're not buying organic it is full of high fructose corn syrup. If you are buying organic the second ingredient is sugar. Sugar on a salad? We're trying to live better and feel healthy. Here is a very versatile salad dressing recipe. I also use this in pasta salad (because we all know I hate mayo) it works well with a bean salad too. Side note: I put one tablespoon of this recipe on my salad and then top the rest of my salad  off with balsamic vinegar.

Basic Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove
2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Place in blender and blend away. The longer you blend the thicker it will become. Store in an air tight container for a 5 days in fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment