Thursday, June 16, 2011

CSA

I joined a CSA and I'm sooo excited! For those of you who don't know what CSA stands for it means Community Shared Agriculture. You pay a certain amount and you get a box of veggies once a week from Local Farms. You can also get fruit and fresh flowers. I paid 340.00 and I get 20 weeks worth of 100% organic locally grown produce! That's 17.00 a week for all organic veggies and I'm supporting local farmers in the USA.  Now... Lord only knows what the you're going to get in your box. You're definitely going to be forced to cook outside your comfort zone! But that's OK because we are living better and going to start feeling healthy! No processed food for us! Eating different vegetables is one the healthiest and best things you can do for your body. 

With a CSA you eat what's in season. I have a big eye opener for you. Your grocery store doesn't know what's in season. You can get tomatoes in January. Do they taste good? Not so much. You get a piece of fruit or vegetable that was picked a week early and then shipped from who knows where and then.... blasted with ethylene gas to make it turn it's proper color. Doesn't sound so good anymore. huh? 

I took some pics with my iphone to show you what I got today. I think I got some mustard greens in there that I might put into Lo mein tomorrow. Stay tuned! And wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment