Saturday, June 18, 2011

Who Needs Take Out?

Not us that's for sure. I live in New York City and can have anything and I mean anything delivered to my doorstep within a half hours time. It's Fri night had a long week, don't feel like cooking for the fam. Sound familiar? What do you do? Open up the drawer with the all the take out menu's or go on seamless web or menu pages and try to figure out what everyone feels like eating. Now I don't know about you but every time I order take out I end up eating more than I should and feeling like crap after and saying to myself it wasn't even that good. Well not anymore! I have refrigerator full of fresh organic produce and high quality ingredients and I am going to cook up my own take out. And that's what I did this Fri. Vegetable Lo Mein. This dish came out great! Tasted way better and much healthier! Try it, your waistline will Thank you ;)

Little side note- sorry for the poor pics my camera is on the fritz! (had to use phone)
With this recipe you can use what ever veggies you like or have on hand.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb (or more) cooked whole wheat angel hair pasta (works best if it's a day old or done in am)
1 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil (if you don't have use olive oil)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 small head bok choy
1/2 a bunch mustard greens, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoon cornstarch and 2 teaspoon water
chopped peanuts on top!

Directions:
Heat a large frying pan or wok on md to high heat. Add sesame oil and chopped onion. Cook for 3-5 min then add your chopped garlic cook for a minute or two.  Then add the rest of your chopped veggies. Next pour in your hoisin sauce, cook for about a minute and then add your cornstarch and water mixture.
Taste for seasoning. Then throw in your cooked pasta and mix it around. If it looks a bit dry you can add a little (i mean little) more soy sauce or a little veggie broth or a splash of water. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. That's it! Enjoy.





cut off base of bok choy


remove stem from mustard green


mix up cornstarch and water











No comments:

Post a Comment