Tuesday, August 2, 2011

You say tomato I say tomahto.

I say anti-aging! Tomatoes are very high in lycopene. Lycopene is considered to be a natural miracle anti-oxidant which might help to stop the cancer cells growth. It's great for your sin too! Take the peel of the tomatoes and place them on face for 10 mins and you'll have soft skin. (and maybe a little pink, do it at night) Fruit, vegetable? who knows? who cares? We should be eating a few a day! This mighty tomato is high in...
-vitamin A
- beta-carotene
-vitamin B,C and K
-calcium

Ok, now that we know the health benefits I have an amazing roasted tomato recipe for you. Thanks to my friend Amanda over at http://www.mandeescandee.com/  I am addicted to Pinterest! She put me on to this little gem awhile back and I can't stop pinning! If anyone wants an invite just let me know, I'm more than happy to hook you up. I was on there the other night and came across this roasted tomato recipe and then I happen to get  a bunch in my CSA box, so I gave it try and WOW the recipe was amazing. But I did make some changes to the original. This recipe would be great to can (what the women who made the original did) but I have no idea how to. I'm hoping my Mother-in-law will teach me some day (that's a hint Sue :) )

Roasted Tomatoes:
adapted from http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/

I used about 6 tomatoes (use whatever you have)
1/2 an onion, rough chop
9 cloves garlic, smashed with back of knife
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon balsmic vinegar
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
drizzle olive oil

Chop up your tomatoes and onion. Wack your garlic cloves with the back of a knife. Pour all of this into a glass baking dish (or whatever) drizzle with oilive oil, vinegar. Sprinkle in salt and seasoning. Then give it a good stir. Bake in the oven at 400 for about 50 mins. And oh my is this good! I served over pasta with toasted pine nuts. The original recipe was placed in a blender and made into sauce. Your options are really endless here!

out of the oven!

1 comment:

  1. Did you just say "Whack your garlic cloves?!?!" You CRACK me up!! I love you, girl! XO

    P.S. Post Thanksgiving or Bust!!!

    ReplyDelete