Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A new twist on PB and J

Photo Source: Pinterest via beccacc.tumblr.com
I came across this picture on pinterest and thought what a great way to recreate a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. Peanut Butter gets a bad rep because it is high in calories and fat. But keep in mind it's a good fat. I don't recommend eating a half a cup of it in one sitting but a few tablespoon wont hurt you. I DO NOT recommend commercial, sugary peanut butter. Find a health food store and get raw natural peanut butter or one that is sugar free. I get mine from Whole Foods where you can make your own. Almond butter is a great substitute as well. Most people that are allergic to peanuts are usually OK with almonds.
Nut butters are filling, high in protein, fiber and calcium. For those of you who don't eat meat, when you combine PB with whole bread you get a complete protein.

My daughter Carolyn had camp today and I packed this up in her lunch box and the response was "Mom that's so cool". She doesn't like the skin so I peeled the apple and cored it, cut in half and smeared PB and Jelly and then cut it in half to make a C. The one in the picture above has PB and granola with chocolate chips in it! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment