Friday, July 29, 2011

Lentils

Photo Source: Pinterest
I love lentils! They are super easy to make, you don't have to soak them and my girls LOVE them. There's a large variety of lentils but I always use green because the stay firm after you cook them. Lentils are SUPER healthy and here's why.
-low in fat and calories
-no cholesterol
-good for digestion
-relieve constipation
-good for the immune system
-great source of B vitamins, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamin C
- and last but not least, good source of protein!

I have a very basic lentil recipe that I make once a week.
1 cup of lentils
Vegetable stock (enough to cover lentils)
saute onion, garlic, celery, carrots in some olive oil salt/pepper to taste
add your lentils and stock and cook for about half hour 45 minutes.

This week in my CSA box I got two green peppers. So I decided to use up what was in my fridge and stuff them with brown rice, lentils and corn. Mixed in with tomato sauce. Baked them at 400 for a half hour and yum! This would be a good one to serve to meat eaters.



No comments:

Post a Comment