Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Falling off the Wagon....

After a long weekend I got a bit off track. With not being in the mood to cook and not a whole lot going on in my fridge, I ended up ordering take out and eating out a bit too much. By the time Sunday hit, I felt like crap! And had the feeling of ughh, why did I do this to myself. That night I told myself(and everyone in my house at the time) 10am workout, no matter what and that's what I did. Had a little run to get the blood flowing and then a good leg workout. Feeling much better it set the day for feeling healthy. Lot's of water and veggies. With that being said my detox stir fry recipe....

I know you always cook rice but it's OK to get out of your comfort zone and try something new like quinoa (KEEN-WAH).  This grain is a power house. A great alternative to the usual brown rice, it's much higher in protein and is also a relative of the leafy green family! I love me some greens. It really is the best bang for your buck as far as grains go.

-high in vitamin E and also contains calcium.
-high in fiber.
-high in protein (great alternative for all you vegan/vegetarians out there)

Ingredients:
2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 cup organic quinoa (rinsed well)
1/2 onion
2-3 minced garlic cloves
vegetable stock
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots,chopped
1 tablespoon organic soy sauce (i like organic shoyu)
salt and pepper to taste

Feel free to use whatever you have on hand as well. Peas, corn, mushrooms would all work.




Direction:
Rinse quinoa well. Bring 2 cups stock or water to boil add quinoa. When everything is boiling, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 mins. Fluff with fork when done.
In the meantime heat up a little oil in frying pan and saute onions for a few minutes, add garlic and saute for a minute. Then add pepper,broccoli,carrots. Cook until soft. Add a little veggie stock if it looks dry.
When vegetables are soft add some quinoa. You don't have to use all of it. Just eyeball it. Add soy sauce mix well. Check seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment